Sunday, November 19, 2006

Woah. Mind blown off....

Finals are starting soon…in about 9 days more. I have not started studying yet. But, I will start tomorrow. But, now…for the updates on the happenings of the past few days….

Me and a few of my classmates went to JB yesterday for a time of fun and laughter. It was quite fun – after two hectic weeks of finishing up assignments and sitting for tests, it was good that we get time off before we start mugging for the finals. It was a good time spent though I despise how things are so much more expensive just because it is in JOHOR, next to Singapore, where the currency is double ours OR the service provided. JB, though next to Singapore: a second world country – developed but still can develop further, is in a terrible condition. Sigh. I love my country but I’m not biased. I know we are terrifically good for food but there are terrible things about us too. Sigh. So anyway, we went shopping but the bad news was, *sigh* I couldn’t withdraw money. So, I was ringgit-less. It was a terrible feeling having to eat off my friends and that kinda spoilt my mood but I was glad that I have very good friends who would allow me to eat off them and they were trying to take my mind off it. But, money-less means I can’t shop. I can’t possibly make my friends pay for my food and movie tickets and still get them to buy clothes for me rite? So, no shopping. BUT, I saw this fantastic looking blouse – it was like the ONE thing I’ve been looking for. It’s very nice. No money, no talk. But I had my pleasure in window shopping – together with my friends, as they tried on clothes, I did too. It was quite fun. Coz I know I wasn’t gonna buy anything but I would be bored if I didn’t do anything. So, I tried on clothes, like they did. And it was quite fun.





much wanted blouse Posted by Picasa


The pile that we spent 15 mins looking at. Funny that we spent 15 mins of our trip looking at these...erm, essentials... Posted by Picasa

We watched a movie. The one thing that I was so looking forward to : Happy Feet!! I wasn’t sure if it is out in Malaysia already because it wasn’t out in Singapore yet. Oh but I enjoyed it so much. Pretty idealistic but that’s one thing pardonable with cartoons rite? And oh, the music, it was nice. I came out of it feeling really happy and I didn’t mind watching it again. The thing about Warner’s Brothers is that they really touch the emotional side of me. So yeah, I tear-ed a little at one point but I’m just over-emotional. Not many people are like me. Nonetheless, it was really fun! Go watch it. Especially, if you want something light-hearted and nice to watch, something that makes you want to sing and dance…. It was entertaining.




Ticket ticket!!! Happy feet!!!! Posted by Picasa

And now, for the most important thing that happened :


On Friday, The NUS Navigators had a time of dinner together – food prepared by staff and graduates for us – so it was free dinner and it wasn’t just for us, it was for a platform for us to get our friends, Christians or non-Christians, down to have dinner together – to pray for them and bless them. Ah, I haven’t been down for nav rallies for a few weeks already. And I was starting to get comfortable not going. So, I naturally didn’t feel like going down for it as well. But, feeling obligated, I went. I brought my friend, Mary along.




Desserts Posted by Picasa

Now, let me tell you about Mary. Mary is a friend I met in a class we are taking together. Mary stood out because she was an exchange student and my lecturer always asks her questions. So, I noticed her. But I didn’t had the intention of reaching out to her or anything like that. Amongst my classmates, I was only thinking of my group of friends – terrible rite?! So, one day, after class me and my classmates had lunch together and while we were getting food, we saw Mary walked by with her tray of food and she saw us so we smiled to each other. I had wanted to ask her to come sit with us but since she just walked away, I tot “aiyah. Nvm la.” So I went and get my food and when I got to my seat, I was pleasantly surprised to see Mary there. See, she went looking for a place to sit and my very faithful friend, Ade, spotted her and invited her to sit together with us. And through that, we got to know each other better. And I would remember how much at that point, it meant something to her because she was feeling rather lonely and we were there to befriend her. Not being proud or boasting, but I’m just amazed at how God was loving her.

I have had the opportunity of sharing my faith with her and in return hear her experiences of her encounters with God and I felt that there’s something special about mary – that inasmuch as she rejected Christ, she was in search of something and I knew that the answer was Christ. And it’s really amazing. So, I was praying more after that encounter and here and there when I have lunches or dinners with her, we’d talk more openly and honestly about our beliefs. It has been good.

So, Friday she came for our dinner. Prayed very hard. Bernard, our ministry leader, shared about going to God not based on performances alone. I paid attention a little but prayed more. After his sharing and prayer, I had an inclination to talk to Mary about something – cannot procrastinate. Err…I didn’t quite know how to and what to say. So, as we were all getting ready to leave the table, including Mary and I, I stopped and ask Mary : So what do you think? I didn’t know what that question meant and what kind of respond I was expecting. But as if she read my mind, she said : Oh, dinner was good and errm, I don’t know. I gave her a *huh* look and then she continued to explain that she don’t know if she can do this – this: Christian thing. She poured out some questions she had and I tried to explain certain things. I know she had an experience of understanding Christianity, even tried to read the bible and all that, but at the end of it all, she said no. But, it’s like so superbly obvious that God is knocking at her door. So, I talked with her and guess what? She popped me an unexpected question. “So, how do I do this?” = “how do I accept Christ?”. I almost said, okay, let’s pray. But felt that something was amiss. And the next question came as a surprise to me too. I asked her: Mary, how much do you know about Jesus Christ? And she said “Well, I knew who he was and what he did but not really” I knew then what was amiss. She doesn’t know Jesus Christ and HIS work and how that all applies to her. So, I asked her : “Do you want to know more?” and I basically made an appointment to read the Bible with her to learn more. We had a pretty long conversation. And in the end, I prayed for her. And, we parted.

I was amazed at how things went. I never expected Mary to say she wants to accept Christ so fast. I’ve seen with my eyes how God is working in her. And she’s like all ready edi la. I never expected to even see anything happen through the dinner although I must have silently wished something would have happened. If not, why would I even bother to invite her for our dinner right? But, all that happened were really out of my expectations. And it was really cool! Prayers answered and best part was seeing a love relationship beginning. It’s like, God wants to reach her. She wants to reach God. There was just something lacking and God is using me to be part of meeting this lack. Woah. Privileged! Honoured! So totally didn’t expect it. I called Ade to tell her the beautiful news and how we have news for rejoicing and praying for something more specific now.

And I remember how reluctant I was a day before the dinner and wished I don’t need to go and how God is so good - that HE never did let me go. That HE used me despite how I felt. It reminded of what I heard during the women conference in Doulos. I felt so blessed. I thank God with all my heart for all that happened – to me, to mary. And to ade, it’s like our first fruit of our labour of love and in our journey of partnership!!! It’s so exciting. It’s like giving birth after 9 months pregnancy. Haha….So exciting! Ade has her story of her outreach to Mary too. It’s amazing how God is using both of us and reaching out to both of us in different ways and reaching out to Mary. It's humbling to know that God chooses to use us especially when we know who we are and what we are like. Maybe I don't truly understand God's grace but I do experience it. And as I stand before God in reflection over what happened, I am humbled and not proud. Because I cannot stand before God and try to lie to myself and take credit for what I did not do. And so, all glory and honour goes to God.


God is good…





Arts canteen and it's green tables...GONE Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home