Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I found it!!!

Just a few weeks ago when I was speaking to a few fellow Navigators, we exclaimed that Christian song-makers should really produce cheap cds. Guess what? Opps-Asia produces cheap CDs. Of course cheap CDs also mean that they are locals. But, still!!!!! How many local producers make their CDs cheap?! The fact I am praising Opps-Asia means I found Juwita Suwito's CD - Brand New World. YAY!!! :) :) Go and get it! It's nice. It's pleasant. The songs are very real - A very human Christian: With all the struggles and pain and not denying the difficulty of life but not forgetting to recognize God's promises and His faithfulness. Well, it's not all flowery and fun. It has its sets of thorns but nonetheless, the beauty of it is shared. :)

And I've watched our very proud Malaysian producer, Yasmin Ahmad's latest movie -
G U B R A.
I enjoy her movies - heartwarming, thought-provoking, artsy. :) Sepet was good. Gubra is better. And so what have I found this time? I found Yasmin's blog. Here's a little what I've gotten from her blog.

Gubra is colloquial Malay for Anxiety.
The Jawi writting in the beginning of the show means : In the name of God, the most loving, the most compassionate - a quote from the Quran.
Gubra is not just a love story. It is also a meditation on what it means to love, to live and to have faith.

And this is what Yasmin herself said her intention for the movie was in February 2005 :
"Gubra" is intended to examine one common phenomenon: The simple everyday fact that when we experience betrayal, it is more often than not committed unto us by people who love us; not people who hate us.
I guess in the end, "Gubra" will be about love (because, as John Cassavetes once said, "nothing else interests me"), it will be about betrayal, and in the end, the difficult but inevitable question of whether or not to forgive the people who betray us.

My say: Go and watch it and don't watch it when you're sleepy. You've gotta be alert to catch all the issues being put up subtly. It's got a lot said in there about what people call "moral" issues and of course the one thing that makes Yasmin Ahmad's movies great - the (blatant) truth about being Malaysian.
...................................................................................................................................................................

When you smile it feels so right.
Do I deny what's inside?

If I had wings I would fly.
Lifting my soul to the skies.
If I had nine lives to live - wish I had you to be with.
If I could make dreams come true.
Of all the things i would do
I know I would be wishing for you.

....................................................................................................................................................................

I love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home